Tuesday
in Cambridge was the day that our group changed into the Cambridge Gang.
Admittedly, I came up with the name and I’m still the only one using it, but I
feel comfortable with that, so it’s okay.
I had stayed up late on Skype the night before, and decided that sleep
was higher than breakfast on my scale of importance for the morning. I woke
just in time to walk across the street to the Magdalene academic campus for
class. The class session involved talking about two articles, neither of which
I had even thought about attempting to look at. This was fine, because Dr.
Wikle was able to force our way through the dreary articles with his lovely
smile and fatherly sweetness. What an angel of a man. We all love him so much
here. One of the articles was about “The Cemetery as an Evolving Cultural
Landscape” and I asked Phil what it said. His response was, “Man, it was pretty
weird.” So if Dr. Wikle called on me I was prepared to offer, “Man, it was
pretty weird,” and fully expect it to be an acceptable answer. Class ended and
we were free to work on our group project for the day.
Bailey
was pretty tired and the British weather had her feeling pretty sick so we gave
her the day off. Phil and I decided to make some lunch and head back to
Midsummer Common. Since we figured there was no chance of fire this time, we
headed over to Malory, Bailey’s dorm building where the kitchen actually has
pots. Being dumb boys, we didn’t think that the other dorm wouldn’t take our
keys when we tried to get in, but luckily some British cleaning ladies were
standing around outside the building giving themselves cancer with flaming
chemical sticks. “You need in then, is it?” one of the women asked us. I don’t
really know what the sentence was supposed to mean considering it may be one of
the dumbest phrasings I’ve heard, but the lady had a key and that key meant a
kitchen that let us cook our tortellini so I certainly did need in then, is it.
We split the cooked pasta up. Phil went fancy and ate his share out of a bowl
with a fork and the sauce poured on. I did it the masculine way and ate the
pasta out of the cooking pot with my hands, dipping each cheese filled vessel
into the creamy “Mascarpone” sauce. It was a good lunch. After cleaning our
dishes we set off for Midsummer Common, ready to be bored by the crappiest of
parks. And we were pumped about it.
We got
to the common and, surprise, it sucked. Naturally we were ecstatic about it and
Phil opened his laptop, eager to accomplish our writing assignment. I altered
between reading and making stupid, funny, and definitively Jake-like comments
about the surroundings. Having finished the assignment, Phil and I walked back,
past the Round Church (Dude, that church is round)
and into Benson Hall for class, presenting Phil’s writing with pride. While
others from the class napped, Phil and I decided to head back into the city and
explore/visit Sainsberry’s. Phil wanted to go to some cancer shop to bring home
some cancer products branded with Cambridge. I guess giving yourself cancer by
smoking things is better if it’s got a famous college name on it? I don’t know.
I’m not into that kind of stuff. Tragically, the cancer shop wasn’t where the
map said it was, so we walked back to the city center. At Sainsberry’s I bought
my favorite thing in Cambridge: a crusty white baton with sesame seeds. It’s
just a simple a sesame baguette, but man is it legit. I was so hungry I started
to eat it as soon as we left the store. I held it in the crook of my left arm
and tore pieces of it with my right hand. It made me feel invincible. Any man
who walks through the crowds of a city eating a big loaf of bread is a man who
knows what he’s doing, and I felt so empowered. It was a magical feeling. I’m
getting pumped just writing about it.
Upon
reaching the gates to the Magdalene dormitory campus, I had eaten half the
loaf. Dinner was in less than an hour, so the correct thing to do was to stop
so that I wouldn’t over indulge myself for the day. So, obviously, I ate the
rest of the baton, because what the hell. Phil dined on all kinds of sweet
treats, taking care to sample all of them for their flavorful worth. We were
pleased with our decisions and crossed the street to the Porters’ Lodge to meet
the rest of the group. Joel was back with us for dinner, so Phil and I happily
fell into step with him on our way to The Mitre pub. Sadly, The Mitre was too
full for a group of our size. In hindsight, I don’t think The Mitre could have
handled us anyway. It seemed a little snobbish. Our group sadly split up, with
Dr. Wikle and a few others heading for The Eagle, which I had gone to the night before. Saying to myself, “Been
there, done that,” I decided to stay with Joel’s group and go to The Castle for
the third time this week because logic only applies in my life when it serves
my purposes best.
With a full baton of bread in my happy American belly, I ordered The Castle’s chili, this time without dairy. It’s too much for me. Joel, who had the chili on my recommendation last time we came here, ate the chili again, leaving me feeling like some sort of BA food fan. I admit a bit of a man crush on Joel. The guy is a cool dude. He’s a historian at Cambridge who focuses on the English Civil War. The only time England hasn’t had a royal leader. That’s pretty legit. Phil and I always ask him things about Charles I getting beheaded. I think Joel thinks we’re making fun of him, when in reality we just want him to love us. We like Joel.
Dinner
was delicious and as the adults left, our group got really funny. Renae,
Mackenzie, Cam, Nick, Logan, and I all stayed around, laughing, telling
stories, and drinking our beverages of choice. Naturally mine was a coke,
because I’m wild. We moved inside when it began to cool down outside and we met
Dr. Wikle and a couple students. I’m going to start calling Dr. Wikle
“Tom” here because I began to call him “Tom” at this point in real life.
Apparently he had bought dinner for the students who accompanied him, a fact
that the students told us after he left. Tom is such a wonderful man, and, as
if he hadn’t already won our hearts, happily gave Nick a twenty pound note for
a few drinks at the pub. Tom does these things quietly with such a genuine
nature that you can’t do anything but smile and observe his pure generosity.
After the gang began to have some… lubricated… fun at The Castle, we walked
back down to the Pickerell, the pub right next door to Magdalene and our now
regular spot. “The Pick” as we call it, is a happy little pub with a nice patio
in the back with large tables for big groups. Phil and Ryan joined us soon
after we arrived and a night of loud fun began. Ryan and Cam rapped. Mackenzie,
Phil, and I shared the romantic tales of our lives, and Renae and Nick
continued to sass each other with the familiarity of siblings. With all the
glasses on our table empty, we somehow found ourselves singing the OSU fight
song and Alma Mater, leaving the locals smiling at our antics. The Cambridge
Gang had arrived and nothing was going to break this apart.
Leaving
The Pick, the group came to my room and ate sandwiches. Cam armed himself with
ham, bread, and mustard, playing the part of “Subway” for everyone and dealing
out sandwiches to anyone who asked. It was a wonderful night and one I will
never forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment